New Zealand Student Visa Information
The New Zealand student visa will allow you to study in Australia for a period of up to 4 years. Visa First successfully processes the applications of full-time students enrolled into educational courses in New Zealand. Contact us today and we will make sure your student visa is obtained fast and easy.
NZ Student Visa Requirements
- You must be accepted in a full-time educational course - at an approved and registered institution providing tuition to international students.
- You or your parents (sponsor, or sponsoring institution) must provide evidence of sufficient funds to support your stay, approximately NZ$10,000 per year.
- You must provide a proof that you plan to leave New Zealand after your studies are completed. A return ticket or funds to purchase one are often considered enough.
- Your passport must be valid for at least 3 months after your estimated studies completion.
- You must have a clean criminal record.
- You must not have been deported from or asked to leave any country.
- You must not pose a risk to the national security, public order and interest.
- You must not be in New Zealand illegally.
- The Immigration New Zealand must believe you won’t breach the conditions of your visa.
- You must be free of any serious long-term illness or incapacity. You will be required to have a medical and a X-ray certificate.
Your visa will cover the length of either your academic year of the whole tuition course. This depends on whether your chosen education provider has an agreement with the Immigration New Zealand – click here to see eligible universities. Scholarship student visas are generally valid for the period of the award.
Accompanying Parents, Guardians, Partners & Dependents
Generally, if you are under the age of 13, you will have to be accompanied by a parent, or a guardian – a person responsible for providing care. A special visitor visa will be issued to this person. Exclusion to this rule are students enrolled in a school hostel or a private training establishment approved by the Ministry of Education.
Partners or children of student visa holders are eligible for visitor visas, their own student visas, or a work visa for the duration of their partner’s tuition.
Student visas are issued to full-time students. However, a tourist visa allows you to study in New Zealand:
- For up to 9 months.
- If your education provider is approved by NZ Qualifications Authority.
- You have a proof of paid tuition fees.
- You meet the visitor requirements.
Working on a Student Visa
Student visa holders are eligible to work part-time for up to 20 hours a week. To have working rights, your education programme must meet one of the following requirements:
- Is no less than 2 years in duration.
- Graduating leads to a qualification that is eligible for a Skilled Migrant Visa.
- Is part of an approved international students exchange scheme.
- Main purpose of education is to develop English language skills.
- Is part of a New Zealand Aid Programme, providing scholarship to students under certain schemes.
- Full-time work is allowed only during scheduled vacations, and the summer vacation period.
Medical Insurance for NZ Students
International students in New Zealand are required to have valid medical and travel insurance. Student visa holders are not eligible for publicly funded health care services. Australian and UK citizens are entitled to emergency and immediately necessary medical treatment only.